Sunday, October 25, 2009

Festivities

A lot has happened since my last update! We had our team retreat and this past week we hosted a visitor from the WSN regional office. The six of us stayed at a REALLY nice granja (farm) for our retreat. It was PERFECT! We were originally planning to go to a beautiful, cooler city in the mountains called Merida, which would have been so refreshing. However, the national team would have been there at the same time, and would have put us to work! (for the Merida retreat). So we opted to go somewhere closer to home so that we could relax and so that Karlayne and Titus could come with us. It ended up being really fun. The place was really gorgeous - I kept thinking there was a beach across the street because there was definitely a resort atmosphere. Beautiful decorations, nice lawn, inviting pool, and all our meals were served to us outside (we got to pick the time and approve of the menu!). We pretty much had the whole place to ourselves. There was only 6 rooms (4 to a room), and I think we were the only ones there the first night. Each of us girls had to bring a game for everyone to play. We ended up playing charades, Mao (my choice!), trivia, and catch phrase. Crystal came up with all the trivia questions on her own - she put a lot of thought into it. I did terrible, but I did guess one right - the most commonly mentioned animal in the old and new testaments is....SHEEP! Figures, that is my favorite animal. :) Mao was really fun - I was nervous everyone would hate it because everyone usually does. I love it, and this time everyone else seemed to too! So we lounged by the pool, played games, and had a few team meetings. It was great to leave the apartment because coming back to it made it seem more like home.

Then on Monday, Jen Smoker came to encourage us. She met with each of us individually and also twice as a team. It was really cool to have someone hang out with us from the US. It really helped me feel more at home here, because I got to show her around a little bit, and it pushed me to be more involved. For example, I introduced her to people (instead of me being introduced to people), I got excited about my role, our job and the city, and I had a lot more motivation to try to talk to people instead of sitting on the sidelines. I think it really encouraged me to take ownership of this place. Also, I had gotten to hang out with Jen a lot in Colorado, so it was really fun to see someone I knew again! She's a lot of fun. One of the things she did with our team was to help us figure out our team dynamics based on the Myers-Briggs test. She showed us how much time each of us spend in each step of the decision-making process. The four steps are Facts, Possibilities, Will it Work?, and How Will it Affect Others? We learned each person's strong points, so now we know that when we need to know about facts we ask Crystal, for possibilities we go to Karlayne, will it work was me, Kaitlin, and Andrew, and Chelsea for how will it affect others. I also got really excited about my personality type since after many years of taking the test I fiiiinally figured out what I am, and knowing about myself is so useful!! The description describes me so well! I am an INTP, and I'm very proud because only 1% of women are. That was Albert Einstein's and Socrates' personality type! (well, probably). Oh yeah! We also had a Halloween party because Jen brought us lots of goodies! Halloween cookie cutters, sprinkles, orange icing, and candy! It was SO fun! We also played Catch Phrase. I always feel so much more comfortable and closer to people after playing games. I love them.

I'm also SOOO excited because Jen delivered THE earrings!! During exam week last semester, my roomies and I went to Beadsburg. We each picked out one bead and made a pair of earrings with it. Now we are the Sisterhood of the Traveling Earrings. This summer they followed Nicole LaPierre to Australia, hopped over to China with Sherri, stayed with Nicole Rudiger in Blacksburg, and now I have them in Venezuela! I can't wait to write in our blog about the adventures I have while wearing them. It's only been 2 days and I've already made Halloween cookies and gone bowling. Woohoo! Making cookies was great because I have been craving fall, especially after seeing 10,000 albums of apple picking and pumpkin patches on facebook, and bowling was nice because it really, really reminded me of being in the US. Except that it's kind of frustrating because I feel like I have bowled a lot more than other people (because with my good little Christian friends we do cute activities like bowling!), but I am still kind of bad. Oh well, I still have fun! Also - I am getting REALLY close to have my travel plans set for Christmas break! Pray that everything works out!

P.S. thanks for all the comments on my last blog. Y'all are too sweet!
P.P.S. we are going to have a costume party here on Halloween. Help me think of ideas for what we should dress up as!! We have 4 girls on our team...what could we all go as??

3 comments:

  1. so glad you got the earrings and i cant wait to hear all the crazy stories!

    i'm stumped on what to be for Halloween this year too..as for a group costume with 4 people there is always the Ninja Turtles, PacMan characters, characters from the board game Clue or a boy/girl pop band.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's really cool that you guys did the four stages of planning thing. We didn't get to do that, although i feel like almost everyone in our team would fall into the "will it work?" category. I'm glad you're feeling more involved with what's going on. Have a great day Syd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the sisterhood of the traveling earrings! This made my cry! You are SO blessed to have these wonderful godly women in your life. I can't wait to read the book about all the adventures these earrings have had! You will encourage many women of all ages by your friendship and love for each other, as well as the amazing and adventuresome life you each lead. XOXOXOXOXO, mom

    ReplyDelete