Friday, November 27, 2009

Thankful

For the first year ever, I was not in attendance at the Roanoke Thanksgivings. It didn't feel too sad though. It didn't really feel like Thanksgiving either! It's funny when the months go by but the weather stays the same. Since it was still 95 degrees outside, it didn't really feel like Thanksgiving. I had a great day, but I still missed some things.
I missed:
My family
Fall weather
My cousins
Going outside to play
Going to see an action or Christmas movie
Rolls
Mac & Cheese

Our thanksgiving was pretty cool for me, because it reminded me of a mixture of both of my usual meals. I always eat lunch with my mom's side, which is HUGE, and we eat spread out around the house on couches and in different rooms. Then later, we eat with my dad's side at my grandma's little apartment with just one other family. This year we had our whole staff team from Venezuela, which is huge, at the Onishi's apartment, which is not small, but it was pretty crammed with 30 people in it. It was cool because it felt like we were a family. My immediate family from Maracaibo, and all my aunts and uncles (the married couples) and cousins (the younger people) from other parts of Venezuela. I guess this year my family didn't go to my grandma's apt, because she moved into a condo earlier this year. It would have been fun to have dinner there!

I am extremely proud of myself this year for trying Thanksgiving-ish foods! I hate the big fuss about Thanksgiving, because I have never particularly enjoyed the food. I love the experience with family, but have never cared one bit about the food. I don't even normally think about it - it's just a meal. I don't like the way all the foods are the same color palette (tan, orange, brown). I don't like all the casseroles and foods that look gross! So normally I just eat a lot of rolls, mashed potatoes, and mac & cheese, if it's good. Turkey is okay. I would prefer Mexican any day - or Italian. My favorite meal that I DO get excited about is Christmas eve dinner - we always have filet mignon with potatoes and croissant rolls. Yuuuuum! Anyways, this year I impressed myself by eating TWO different kinds of stuffing, green bean casserole, and sweet potato with pecans. They were all pretty good. I love feeling more like a real, grown up person by doing stuff like eating typical Thanksgiving foods. Ha!

Besides the general things I am thankful for all the time, such as Jesus, grace, a relationship with God, Whit, family, friends, Heaven, music, etc, here are a few things I am thankful for that happened this year:
1. Graduating college! I don't have to worry about working hard to get a degree anymore, because I have one and it can't be taken away! I went to a great school (well, the best school), got a degree in a good major, and achieved the GPA I aimed for.
2. Finishing support early
3. Getting to go on vacation with my family to St. Mary's after raising support
4. Celebrating Christmas at home, instead of in St. Mary's
5. Becoming closer friends with girls at Tech. A major part of this is my accountability group, and the fun vacation we took together.
6. Going to the Phish reunion with Whit. He had been looking forward to it ever since he started listening to Phish, and I'm so glad I got to be a part of it with him. It was a pivotal moment for me as well, as it turned me into a phan!
7. Getting to go to the pool a lot this summer, as well as going to short pump and Richmond a decent amount. Also getting Tropical Smoothie, Chipotle, and Noodles & Co. a lot.
8. An amazing week in Colorado of me being extroverted and making lots of friends who live all over the world now, and just having fun and redirecting my focus to God.
9. All the great music I have gotten.
10. Staying with Nicole LaPierre for a week and getting to know her better. Also getting to visit Sarah, Sherri, and Hope.
11. Reconnecting with friends and hanging out a lot since I lived in Mechanicsville and most people didn't have jobs. :P
12. Learning about God's grace - that I don't have to do ANYTHING to impress Him
13. Taking great classes
14. Turning 21 - I never thought I'd actually be this old!
15. Hanging out with Whit a LOT and going lots of fun places with him!

Thanks Jesus!!

2 comments:

  1. i too am proud of you for eating foods beyond ones that have pleasant colors, aren't mixed, and don't have unnecessary sauce. Also, I'm really thankful for you and am glad that you put me on your list along with the phish reunion and put music on the list of stuff you're thankful for after all the important/serious stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Thanksgiving with your Venezuela family went well! An you've done so many awesome and exciting things :)

    ...do you usually make lists like this/have you made one before? I made this exact type of list on my past birthday when I was in Spain- I wonder if it has something to do with being away?

    ReplyDelete