Thursday, November 5, 2009

Out of the Silent Planet

Sunday night I had that empty-house depression kind of boredom. Crystal had been sick and just lying in bed all day, so I couldn't have the lights on in (aka be in) my room, Kim was out of town, and my other 2 roommates were at a concert. I had the whole day to be alone (essential for an introvert like me to recharge), which I should have appreciated more because I had THOUGHT that on Saturday I would get a whole day to chill, but I had forgotten about our party that night and didn't know that I had to go to Serving with a Purpose the next day. Either way, I ended up longing for some good challenging theological books to read. I had tried to go upstairs to borrow books from the Onishis, but they had gone out to dinner (if my phone hadn't run out of battery, I would've gotten the text and been able to go with them). So I was bored and a little lonely for a bit but I went upstairs when they got back and browsed their collection of books. They have a nice little library that students and staff can borrow from. Unfortunately, no Jonathon Edwards or John Calvin, and no Piper that interested me. However, I did find a book that was on my list: Out of the Silent Planet, by C.S. Lewis. I didn't actually start reading it that night...I read a book about personality types and how to get along with your partner depending on what your MBTIs are. It was so funny b/c I really felt like I was babysitting. You know, that feeling of the house being really quiet, someone being asleep in the other room, reading and not having too much else to do, being in an unfamiliar but comfy environment (I don't normally hang out in the living room but did b/c Crystal was sleeping), and waiting for someone to come home (my roommates at the concert).

It's too late to make a long story short, but I'll get back to the title of the post. It's been great to read Out of the Silent Planet, the first reason being that C.S. Lewis writes exactly how I think. It's perfect. Everything he says in the book and all of the reasoning for what the main character does is exactly how I would think or what I would do given the situation. It's extremely refreshing. It's also really fun for me to read a novel (I haven't read one since high school). Normally I read Christian non-fiction (theological books or ones about relationships). I really like science fiction, but haven't read any sci-fi books or seen any sci-fi movies in awhile b/c they always make me have really weird thoughts that make me fearful. It's really sad b/c I love the entertainment so much. (I have had an unusually high desire to watch sci-fi movies since being here though.) Anyways, the other great reason I like reading the book is b/c I can relate to it a lot and at the same time it makes me really appreciate being here. That is because the book, if you didn't know, is about a man who is kidnapped and brought to another planet. It's great b/c although I kind of feel like I'm trapped on a different planet here, it's way better and easier for me to be here than be on an actual different planet! So anyways it is a good read and I would definitely recommend it (so far at least).

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found a book you wanted! I like CS Lewis too, I recently read The Great Divorce. Have you read that one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read that...it was an interesting book but I didn't agree with him theologically (the place that they're at is purgatory). He's a great author though!

    ReplyDelete